Monday, June 5, 2017

GlaxoSmithKline - A Potential Dividend Cut


A few years ago I bought a few shares of GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) because of it's good dividend yield and dividend-paying track record. I felt myself really good while I was receiving the dividends. But a few month ago, I read the company’s 2016 Annual Report. I saw that the EPS was £0,19 and the dividend was £0,80, so the EPS didn’t cover the dividend. It was not a good news for me, so I read more to see the chairman’s words about it. I found this:

Ordinary dividends of 80p per share have been declared for 2016, the same level as 2015. The company expects to maintain the same payment in 2017, in accordance with the statements made in 2015. This level of distribution still exceeds the free cash flow generated by the business despite the material improvement in cash generated in 2016 referred to above. Given that 2017 is the last year of the three year dividend commitment made in 2015, the Board will be considering the appropriate dividend policy for 2018 and beyond during the course of the year.

(Source: Annual Report 2016 – GSK, 04.p.)

I think that the Board will cut the dividend in 2018. The GSK needs a really good financial performance in 2017 to avoid the dividend cut. The first quater of 2017 was a good beginning, but I sold my shares, because I'm more relaxed to watch it from a little distance.



Full disclosure: I have no position in GlaxoSmithKline.

No comments:

Post a Comment